Bad Things Really Do Happen When You Leave the City

Posted on: January 10th, 2006 by admin 6 Comments

I go out of town for one week and you let this happen? C’mon!

6 Responses

1. Anonymous says:

I, too, if I read any early posting of yours, spent a part of Xmas week in the Berkshires…. and now I find that WNYC lists TNBT as "no longer airing."

What's (one almost has to wrestle the expletive that wants to be heard to the ground) up with that?!

And does Show #546 — or some number very close thereto — mean that you aired (hope this is a hiatus!!) for 10 years?

Thanks…. Nothing Xword-related, much though I love 'em can give you satisf. for too long, if I may offer some career advice. COME BACK!

2. DO says:

I'd gladly come back. Sadly, though, WNYC has lost interest in funding The Next Big Thing. For now, at least, I'll be immersed in crosswords. To paraphrase Charles Osgood, I hope to see you on the radio again someday.

3. humarockgirl says:

Hi Dean,

Just wanted to say you and TNBT are greatly missed – you were always part of my Sunday ritual, and I feel like I've lost a friend! You have a wonderful way of connecting with your audience. I wrote my local station and complained, but to no avail! I hope that WYNC wakes up soon to what it has lost – and I hope you keep talking in the meantime!

Thanks for keeping me company throughout many snowy weekends, and wishing you luck in all the great things that must be in store for you. Get your voice out there anyway you can!

4. DO says:

Thank you so much. It's comments such as these that kept us going.

5. kiera says:

Hi Dean,

I just can't say enough great things about The Next Big Thing. Why hold back on the gushing? I've listened to absurd amounts of TNBT–in perusing the archives, in my radiophonic class, at my station's "listening parties," and all over, really. My radio friends and I sit around listening to the show, excitedly talking about how to make college radio knock-offs of this or that segment. Even my friends who don't know what station NPR is on love whatever I play for them. I explain, "It's just as compelling as TAL, except it's not formulaic and they take risks."

I could go on and on…But more than anything, I'd like to thank you for making such a ridiculously smart and creative show that played around with form in an inspiring way. From TNBT I've gotten all kinds of exciting ideas about what radio *can* be. As a young producer, it's been really important to me. Seriously, TNBT is one of those instrumental parts of my nerdy, radio-obsessed youth that I will still be talking about 20 years down the line.

I can only hope that WNYC will come to their senses (and not just because my friends and I would gladly join The Next Big Thing's intern army…) In the meantime, bring on the Dean Olsher Podcast!

Here's wishing you all the best.

6. Anonymous says:

Kiera et al -

Brainstorm! — WNYC (love/hate it, mostly the former though I do) is far from the only game in town. Sure, TNBT was a little NY-centric (how could it not be, for several obvious reaons!), but there must be other stations — even some "college-sponsored" ones that have a little vision, a little budget, a little sense that while you may not get rich "syndicating" a show, it's good 5 different ways to do just that.

I'm with you (or whoever said it) – D.O. had become more central to my Sunday A.M.'s than the NY Times — not even close, to be honest. Doesn't have to "end this way!!"

When I first wrote, I was thinking — "Maybe he's feeling 'played out;' maybe, he's gonna go the Scott Simon route of trying a network gig," etc. — Now that we know that those do NOT account for the s'itty sit. we're in, we (I've already written him with a fistful of good ? ideas) simply have to make something happen!